Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Let the Classes Begin

Hi friends, just Stefanie here. Today was the opposite of yesterday as I had class and Nicole did not. Unfortunately, most days are like this: one of us is free all day while the other has class.

Nicole and I just returned to our rooms after a surprisingly yummy dinner at the pub. We discovered their menu last night and I was so excited to find it loaded with vegetarian options!
The dining has been relatively good here. As a vegetarian, I am always concerned about food choices when traveling (I prefer not to just eat pasta and bread for every meal) but I have found that there is usually something for me to eat! Shockingly, the best vegetarian meals on campus are available at the pub. It's perfect for me. I get to not only eat veggie burgers (without a bun!) piled with guacamole and jalapenos, but also watch the World Cup (which I have now dragged Nicole to watch two nights in a row... woops). Tonight was cool because it was England playing (although they had already been eliminated).

Nicole's Chicken Tikka Masala!

Stefanie's veggie burger covered with guac, jalapenos, etc!
While it may seem we have just been doing a lot of eating (due to the ridiculous number of foodies we have already taken), I did have my first class today. I am taking Introductory Biology here at Sussex which will give me credit for the Intro Biology class back at Elon! I was surprised by the tiny class size: only eight people! My class will probably not be as exciting to share about as Nicole's as we literally started at the beginning today with the chapter on Cells and What is Life. Anyways, class went well! The professor was nice and it should be a good couple of weeks!

Nicole spent some of the morning at the library getting books she needs for her class and her essay which she seems super excited about. After my class, I went to the library as well to check out a couple biology textbooks and a random book I found on Medical and Biological Research in Israel.

We then headed to lunch but the main eatery was bursting with high school students dressed in business attire (apparently for some program but we have yet to find out the details). We decided to just buy food at the market and try and "cook" something. I just had falafel and hummus over salad (the staples of my diet) while Nicole made some pizza. This was our first attempt to make food and we had some adventures with the oven. We struggled to figure out how exactly to turn it on and at one point I practically pulled the thing out of the wall. Anyways, pizza was eventually served.

The weather has been so nice here so far and even a bit on the hot side! I was expecting to freeze but everyone keeps telling me this is not going to last. Apparently the rain is due to arrive any day now...

Pretty view from my kitchen!

Sky last night!

I have class again tomorrow morning and then Nicole and I will head to Brighton in the afternoon to do some more exploring (and possibly shopping!).

P.S. After writing this blog post I decided to go for a sunset jog around campus and it was lovely. I can't stand running but when it's this nice out and I have a campus to explore it is almost enjoyable.

6 comments:

  1. Did Nicole have a pint with lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a parent would notice that! Cheers, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God, it's so exciting to read your blog posts. I'm heading to England for the next session and I just can't be more excited after reading these!!
    Thankss so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading our blog! You're gonna love it here. Sadly, we're only here for one session. But if you have any questions, PLEASE ask us (either before you come or when you're here)!
      Cheers,
      Nicole and Stefanie

      Delete
  4. Yes, I read them regularly. I sure will :)
    Hope we can meet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I just found your blog via searching on google for tips about Brighton. I also go to Elon and am going to Brighton this summer. Do you still go to Elon?

    Thanks,
    Allie

    ReplyDelete